Wednesday, July 25, 2012

My first attempt at whipping up a meal :)

My only resolution for year 2012 is to learn how to cook as mentioned in the beginning of the year. 

Time flies and the year is already more than half way gone! *gasp

Since I absolutely adore breakfast meals and they are comparatively easier to prepare, I thought I should start learning from breakfast food!

So last Saturday, I decided to make it happen and prepare breakfast. I bought all the ingredients the night before at NTUC. Life's good when you have a 24-hr NTUC supermarket stone's throw away from your house.

My main ingredients.





 My breakfast platter consists of scrambled eggs, fried potatoes with portobello mushrooms, black pepper sausages and toast wholemeal bread.

I was looking through Chelle's blog and tried to memorise how to do up the potato dish. Thankfully her instructions were concise and easy to follow, for a noob like me. 

I started out by boiling the russet potatoes, since it requires most time, and i overboiled it. It should be taken out of the boiling pot when its fork tender so my potatoes ended up mashy. Not a great sight when i'm stir-frying with mushrooms.

No golden-brown effect for my potatoes :( 

Used chopped garlic, half a clove of onion for stir frying the shrooms and carbs. I love portobello shrooms!


For the sausages, just a teeny weeny bit of veg oil will do the trick. In fact, since I'm using HappyCall pan, I suspect it can be done without oil. Shall try it next time. 

Next will be the scrambled eggs. I used 3 eggs, a knob of butter and replaced cream with HL milk. I must say my scrambled eggs turned out yummy! Even my guinea pig (brother) agreed. 

3 eggs are too little for both of us. I will have to use more eggs next time round. 

My only boo-boo in the process was my burnt toast. I forgot the set the heat level and the poor bread got charred. My guinea pig sounded really worried when he smelt the burn upon stepping into the kitchen. 



Overall, it was a success! No food poisoning, as claimed by the guinea pig. 



I enjoyed the whole cooking process, and of course the meal too. What i dread is the washing part..



Now now.. I can cross out my bucket list and my resolution of this year with that being achieved! 












No comments:

Post a Comment