Monday, June 18, 2012

My virgin solo overseas trip

It has always been one of my bucket list to #1 travel ALONE #2 go on overseas worktrip so am I glad when the opportunity presents itself earlier than expected!

Thanks to my boss, I get to go HK again for a global meeting in our HK office. I was so excited!

Since it's on company's tabs, I get to fly SQ (excited X2 since i'm always taking budget planes), stay in good rated hotel in Hong Kong Island, claim everything.
:)


After taking budget airlines for years, I'd definitely appreciate the service at SQ. Nevermind that there've been loads of complains on how the quality has been sliding. I still think SQ is superb. 


 My favorite scrambled eggs and roast potatoes for brekkie! 
Held back on finishing the whole meal because I need to save some space for the food in HK!

Landed HK on Sunday morning, so I had the entire day to explore on my own.


Panoramic view of my cosy hotel room at Island Pacific Hotel.


Armed with trusty map of HK, backpack of essentials and comfy Tomshoes, off I go!

I was approached by an angmoh just after i stepped out of hotel. Apparently he didn't do any research and don't know where and how to go places. We had some small chats and he tagged along with me, all the way from our place in Sheung Wan to Jordon. Managed to brush him off after lying about meeting a friend at a restaurant, and went back to MTR to Mongkok station. Phew. 

Sometimes you need to be good at lying in circumstances like this. It's not like he's a baddie. You just have to be extra cautious, being a girl alone in a foreign country and all. 









My list of to-eat are all of above for day 1 hahaha. 

Amazingly, i covered more than what i set out to for day 1. It was good that I was there just 2 months before this trip, else i would have lost my way left right center. 








By the time i'm done with exploring IFC mall it was about 10pm. The train station was really empty, so were the streets. 

I bravely decided to take a bus (i did research!) hoping that I landed at the right bus pole. As you know, HK doesn't have nice and sheltered bus stops. Took me great lengths to locate one pole. 
Looking at how deserted the street was, I admit being rather panicky then. Thankfully i boarded the right bus, alighted at the right stop! 
Good thing that my room comes with unlimited wifi, so i could facetime my family and wr every night. I felt kinda homesick at the end of day 1 and was really glad to see my parents, wr, and oreo via facetime. Though it's been less than 24 hours since i left home. I reckon it's because travelling alone lacks the social interaction which i discovered is important to me.





Woke up at 5am the next morning to prepare for meeting. It felt surreal that I'm reporting work at a different location, different land. 

My company has really nice view of the HK habour, which i regretted not snapping any. 


My HK colleagues brought me out for lunch, and we ordered hell lot because by then it was already 2pm and the food was discounted at a ridiculously low price! Like 2 bucks sgd for each dish!


After drinks with some of my colleagues, I went back office to finish up some work and left at 10pm. By then the CBD area was mad quiet.
While waiting for cab, another angmoh came up to me and chatted. Asked me where I'm from blah blah blah and even offered me a ride back to my hotel in his cab. After rejecting a few times he zoomed off. Phew...



I was so hungry and craving for some porridge and found one just opposite my hotel! How nice!








Day 3: Check out day.

Had dim sum at Tim Hoe Wan, Hong kong Station. Wanted to go back to Mong Kok's outlet but I was too hungry and not very confident of locating the store. 

Another downside of travelling alone: You can't have alot of variety when it comes to food. 

Took me awhile to decide these 3 dishes as my priority items. I wanted so badly to order everything but didn't want to waste food. :(





The apple store in IFC. 






Shopping at H&M, having my last meal at Tsui Wah before grabbing some souvenirs at Koi Kei bakery. I'm so immensely proud of myself for being able to locate both hung hiong wife biscuit and koi kei bakery!

For the 1st time, I can't wait to go home when travelling!

I guess solo trips isn't really my cup of tea. Some people enjoys it for couple of reasons:
- You are in complete control of your trip, your time, your experience
- You discover something about yourself along the way
- You learn how to make decisions
- You challenge yourself to things you have never try before
- You are able to collect your thoughts

For me, I'm glad that I embark this trip on my own, ventured out to places that i've not been, tried things that i've never done. It was a good experience travelling alone, as I achieved all of those mentioned above. 

Then again, given a choice, I would rather do it with company. It doubles the happiness, really.

Home Sweet Home :)

No comments:

Post a Comment