Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Roadtrip to Malacca

1st Apr - 2 Apr 2012
Roadtrip to Malacca (:

I tagged along wr and his parents down to his hometown  last weekend.

I was pretty excited about this trip because
1) I get to drive on the Malaysian expressway(which means driving at 130km/h)!
2) of the famous Malacca's chicken rice ball and durian chendol
3) it's a mini getaway!

It takes about 3 hours from SG 2nd link to Malacca, which is about 230km, depending on the traffic condition and the # of pit stops. We took about 3 hrs to get there and 5 hrs back, because the traffic was horrible! Since it was the tomb sweeping festival, many Singaporeans like us will be heading there and back during the weekend.

The landmark of Malacca.




The last time I set foot in this town was more than a decade ago!

His aunt brought us to this chinese restaurant for dinner. Oh my it was so awesome!
We had buttered crabs and marmite crabs, very unique way of preparing the crabs but it was so good! Chilli crab has always been my favourite but buttered and marmite cooking style is even better!

I'm so going to bring my family here to try :D


Wr's cousin brought us to Jonker Street for some shopping.
The street is shut off from vehicles at night for the crowd.


Malacca is one of the few towns in Malaysia with rich heritage. It preserved its Portuguese buildings, Peranakan culture and the chinese associations.



We've been wanting to try this, but no chance to do so :(
It's called Satay celup. Skewers of meat/veg are cooked in spicy, peanut thick paste. Similar to hotpot, but its thick satay gravy instead of soup.
I think it's also known as loklok in Sg!

This stall's really popular with locals and tourist. The que was insanely long!



Day 2 - Tomb sweeping day


The cemetery hill in Malacca is HUGE. At least 20 times bigger than Sg's bukit brown.
The ancestors' tomb is significantly alot larger and considerably well-kempt.

The highlight of the day, after hardwork at the cemetery, is the Malacca's famous chicken rice ball!
I mistaken it for fishball when I first saw it.

To be honest, there's nothing worth raving about. The rice is sticky and moist.
I prefer their normal chicken rice, which in my view, is better than alot of places in Sg


Desserts time!
This is easily the most yummy chendol i've ever had, and i'm not even a chendol person to start with!




Snowy, his cousin's dog. She looked so pitiful being leashed to her cage.
She bit me lightly when she heard dogs and monkeys next door making noise. And ran to her cage after that.
Haha she knew she is in the wrong.

Wr daren't even touch her!




Strolling along the streets on the hot,hot day before driving home




No comments:

Post a Comment